Sunday 3 September 2017

Sewing box make over


Quite a while ago, (make that a year or two) my mom gave me Gran's old sewing box.

I am not much of a seamstress... so I knew I was never going to use it as a sewing box...  I always wanted to make it over as an art tool box!  The question was HOW?

Why it took me so long to think of this solution I don't know...  I mean, I use this all the time for the projects I produce for art installations!  This technique is one I learned from Tim Holtz.  He called it Painted Industrial and it is on page 46 of his Compendium of Curiosities 3 book!

I am attending a two day scrapping event at the end of the month and thought this would be a brilliant tool tote...

So here it is in all its ugly fake wood and yellowed plastic glory!


Then I spray painted the handle and rims black.

After that I added embossed sticky backed foil.  (yes, I have an industrial roll of the stuff from a friend who's hubby is in the building trade)  These top two folders are by Cuttlebug and are 6"x12"

I decided to use two different designs so that I know which side is which and can open the appropriate one first... cos if they were the same... Murphy would have it that I would open the wrong one first every time!



Once that was all in place, I added the black paint and wiped off the excess.  Quite a quick afternoon's project!





Now to pack it full of inks and the like!

4 comments:

  1. Seriously I don't even begin to understand how your mind works. I just threw one out well gave it away to someone who would love it. I did look to see if it would work as a tool box but it just didn't do what I needed it to do so off it went. This however is just such an amazing transformation. I would love to tote that around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful re-do, wow, I just love it and it really stands out...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fantastic transformation! So clever of you to make the lids different, would never have thought of that! Love this!! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a jewelry chest that I inherited from my mom, and I think I might follow your lead and resurface it in the steampunk fashion. Would you be interested in my before, during after pics if I’m successful ?

    ReplyDelete

Its always lovely to hear from you , so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. Please excuse word varification, I've been getting lots of spam comments.